Sunday, January 26, 2014

Silence and Art

One of the many ministries that the ship is doing here in Congo is giving art classes at the local deaf school. Most schools teach only the basic courses, and for the children in this school the art lessons are a real treat. These children are some of the lucky ones who are able to go to school, despite their disability.


I am caring for a deaf girl in the hospital right now who is being treated for burn contractures. She cannot read or write, and communicates as best she can by miming. She follows me around the ward, copying me on her own clipboard as I take notes on my patients and write in charts. Her "writing" looks like that of a three year old, just a line of loops and circles. I weep for her and wish that she could have the education she seems to desire so much. She wants to say so much, but cannot communicate beyond basic ideas. I gave her a laminated copy of a photo taken of the two of us in the ward, and she treasures it. She will show it to anyone and everyone who comes along, then if I am on the ward, she will come put her arm around me in an imitation of the photo.
My Deaf Patient
Seeing these children in the school who can read and write and communicate with sign language gives me hope for the future of those in Congo with disabilities. These children are so eager to learn and they love that I can communicate a little with them in their own sign language. So far we have covered pencil sketches, watercolors, and right now we are working with chalk. One young boy at the school was a patient in the hospital earlier in the field service, and has become a celebrity amongst the other deaf children as the only one who has been on the ship.








These children are so precious. May we leave them with the knowledge that they are precious, valuable, and dearly loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment