Thursday, October 10, 2013

The taste of Caterpillar?

Today I had the opportunity to try some different Congolese foods: Mashed cassava (manioc) which is a bit like mashed potatoes, but is compacted until it is firm and can be sliced like bread; Cooked cassava leaves (saka saka), which I think tastes like eating steamed grass; fish, cooked plantains, fresh bread. Personally, I must admit that I do not particularly like the cassava, though I will eat it if it is offered to me, so as not to be rude. The fish, plantains, and bread I have had before, and I will definitely eat again. But the big news? I ate a caterpillar! It was very well cooked, and extremely crunchy. Honestly I have to say that to me it tasted like something that had been smoked almost to the point of charcoal, but perhaps that is a good thing. I am not sure that I would have been able to eat the entire thing if it had been chewy or juicy. I guess I can check "Eat a caterpillar" off of my bucket list now.

The Caterpillar

1 comment: