Monday, September 30, 2013

Drilling Beneath My Feet

Ratatataratatatratatat. This is the amazingly loud noise coming from beneath my feet. They are cleaning the ballast tanks on Deck 2, one deck below me. The particular tank that they are cleaning right now happens to be right below my room.
Cleaning the tanks involves the use of needle guns. They hammer away at the rust in the tanks, making one very loud racket that causes my floor to tremble as the metal in the tanks vibrates. I try to stay out of the room as much as possible during the day, while the drilling is taking place.
Heaven help the poor night shift workers that are in the rooms near mine. Most of them seek out friends who are in other areas of the ship, who will let them sleep in their rooms during the day. Sleeping through the sound of the needle guns is impossible for all but the soundest of sleepers. I hope that they finish working before I am scheduled to work night shifts, or I too will be seeking other accommodations.
Engineers hard at work needle gunning in the ballast tanks

1 comment:

  1. I remember all the needle gunning on on the Logos hope, extremely loud. Kinda makes me want to be back in the engine room on a ship again though. I really like working with all the engineers.

    ReplyDelete