Saturday, March 30, 2013

At Home on the Africa Mercy

I've made it! After years of prayer and dreams, and weeks of training, I am on the Africa Mercy! I can't believe that I am really here. Our first couple of days were a little confusing. Paperwork needed to be signed, orientations needed to be attended, and I had to learn how to go from deck to deck without getting lost. I decorated my bunk the night I arrived, to make it seem more homey, after all this is my home for the next year, and Lord willing I may even stay longer.
Ready for My First Shift





My Cozy Little Bunk

Our first Monday aboard the ship my new life truly began. Hospital orientation on Monday followed by orientation to day shift on Tuesday and orientation to evening shift on Wednesday. From there I was officially a nurse on A Ward. I had evening shift for the next four days. Talk about a learning curve! In my first week I have already cared for patients recovering from surgery to release burn contractures, repair cleft palates and remove tumors. Working on the ship you care for patients of all ages, there is no pediatric ward, and I absolutely love working with these wonderful adults and children and being a part of changing their lives for the better. To God be all the glory!
This Sunday, my second Sunday onboard was also Easter Sunday. It was wonderful to go up to Deck 8 with the rest of the crew for the sunrise service. We worshiped and praised the Lord as we watched the sun rise over Guinea and prayed for His blessing over this land.
Worshiping on Deck 8 as the Sun Begins to Rise

A Beautiful Easter Sunrise


No comments:

Post a Comment